Entry for Friday 9/11:
Today is 9/11. It has been eight years since the terrorist attacks and I am currently sitting at the airport. As I wait to board my flight to SFO, I cannot help but become nervous about flying. To make matters worse I keep hearing, every five minutes, a message warning saying “Today is a code ORANGE security!”
The only security warning worse than orange is red. This did not make me feel more safe. I understand that this simply means that they are being more cautious and attentive at the airport, yet hearing any warnings on this day does not settle me. I would rather the airport be very strict and keep a cool persona. We do not need to know, especially every five minutes, that the security of the airport is very intense.
Why am I scared today? I have been on flights my whole life, on average seven a year, and am never scared. But today, today is different. I still remember exactly where I was when I was watching the 9/11 attacks.
I was waking up in the morning for school. Like every other morning, I walked into my parent’s bedroom to use their shower since it was way superior to mine. As I enter their room, I notice my mom standing still while watching television. I looked over to see what was grabbing her full attention and thought she was watching a movie. I saw planes crashing straight into buildings and did not believe that this could be happening. Despite my initial thought, I noticed that she was watching the news and that this was taking place. My mother was speechless. She is never speechless.
After watching this instead of getting ready, I threw on some clothes and my mom drove me to school. The entire school, K-8, met in the amphitheatre to watch the attacks. None of us there, many kids stayed home to watch the attacks, knew what to say or understood what was going on. I felt awful for the kids who got to school and were unaware with what was going on. Some people came to school laughing and joyful thinking it was just another school day. This laughter and joy quickly disappeared as they realized what was going on in the United States.
9/11 will always affect American citizens as terrorists came into our soil and committed a terrorist attack we never thought possible. It opened up America to reality and the fact that we are always in constant danger. While it will always affect us, the terrorists did succeed in bringing Americans together and uniting the nation. Everyone felt a sense of connection with the ones around them knowing that we were all going through the same thing. America, due to 9/11, is now stronger, more cautious and united. This event showed us that when times get tough, Americans will all join together.
Despite my initial concerns of flying on this date, I will never be again in the future and will not let terrorist actions affect my daily life.
No comments:
Post a Comment