Sunday, September 20, 2009

Entry 17

This weekend, as I said in my last post, was the Jewish holiday Rosh-Hashanah, or the Jewish New Year. To celebrate the holiday, I attended services and festival dinners at Chabad and Hillel on campus. Also, I do not use electricity on this holiday so I was unable to complete my post for yesterday.

Anyways, I have been thinking a lot lately about starting the new year off right and setting out goals I want to achieve. Some of these goals can be achieved today; some within the upcoming year; some in the next few years; some within my lifetime. It is important to set yourself specific goals so that you make sure you stay on-track with what you want to achieve. I want to ensure that I leave behind the legacy I want and do the things I desire while living on this Earth.

Some goals are easy to achieve, some are impossible; either way, they are important. Even if it is an easy goal, these are sometimes the most difficult to remember to do or sometimes end up being the most meaningful accomplishments. Just because something is easy does not mean it is not a goal. If you desire to achieve it and successfully do, then you have completed a goal. On the other hand, impossible goals are important since they keep you striving to work your hardest in order to become better. Even if you know it is unrealistic to achieve something, making it your goal only makes you get closer to achieving the impossible. Also, these challenging goals are often the ones that make sure you always try doing more than you can and never settle for the easy way out.

I like to write things out, see them on paper and remind myself to do something. While I understand everyone is different – some are visual learners, some are auditory listeners, etc. – writing out specific goals is essential so that you do not forget. If you keep all your goals in your head, unless you have an unbelievable memory, then you will forget some of the most important goals you desire as well as some of the smaller goals. Write them down! When you see them on paper or on your computer, you are constantly reminded that there is still something to achieve. Even when you think you cannot do anymore, you can! Or, if you are really bored and looking for something to do, looking at your list of goals might be very beneficial. Even if your goal is to read a book, this is a goal! This is something that you want to achieve and should strive to achieve. Anything you want to accomplish is a goal.

That’s it for this post. I just wanted to reflect on the importance of setting and achieving your goals in order to make sure you live a meaningful, successful life. Satisfying yourself, at the end of the day, is what makes you happy. If you set many goals and accomplish them, you will be the happiest person in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment