Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Entry 19

Here is my cover letter I completed for applying to Eller College of Management. I want to post this on my blog so that I always see it and refer back to it...

Going into the University of Arizona I was confident that I wanted to graduate with a degree from Eller College of Management, yet I was still indecisive as to which major I wanted to pursue. After gathering some research and reflecting on my different tiers of business in my foundation courses, I have decided to apply for a degree in Management Information Systems. I have always considered myself a problem-solver and feel this applies to MIS since it provides you with the technical skills as well as the managerial skills needed to determine the appropriate course of action. Due to the increasing demand in the IT field, I want to learn the capabilities of technology in order to make my company more competitive and efficient. Also, I have a growing passion for Entrepreneurship and am confident that the MIS program will provide me with the suitable skills necessary to manage my own company.

Towards the end of the Spring 2009 semester, my friend and I decided to follow through with our idea and start an online editing service that proofreads college student’s papers for grammatical and structural errors. Besides for learning how to start a business from the ground up, I have developed managerial skills, such as how to develop and maintain a website, gather and manage employees and advertise effectively. I am proud to say that our website, www.proofgenie.com, is in full operation and receiving paper submissions daily. Academically, I have developed a strong work ethic and embrace any challenge thrown my way. For instance, this semester I am enrolled in fifteen credits of English courses, leaving me two classes away from obtaining an English minor. Through my paid internship at Peak Financial Corporation, a “one-stop shop” for Real Estate services, I gained valuable knowledge and leadership skills necessary for succeeding in the workplace. My most important and educational task was to write press releases for the company. This was a demanding task that taught me the importance of developing strong writing skills in order to remain collected under time-constraints and confident with my work.

My strong work ethic, combined with my problem-solving skills and leadership qualities, will allow me to be a thriving, active member of the MIS program. I look forward to working with my peers, who share my passion for business, in order to complete work of the uppermost quality and achieve common goals. My goal is to secure my acceptance into the Eller College of Management and I am confident that I will excel as an exceptional student. I am eager to hear back from you and to discover more about the opportunities and possibilities associated with this outstanding program.

No comments:

Post a Comment