Monday, September 28, 2009

Entry 24

The following is a review I wrote for the movie "A Man Called Horse"...

“A Man Called Horse” provided an honest, heartfelt depiction of Native Americans, unlike many Hollywood films that

portrayed these groups of people as brutal and atrocious. This film came out in the 1970s during a time when producers

started creating Western films from the perspective of the Native Americans, making the audience sympathize with them and feel

guilty for how they were treated. To add to this effect and purpose, this film was very gruesome and bloodthirsty. I would

recommend this movie only to students as an educational film due to its honest and accurate depiction of Native Americans

and their culture.

The film had some distinct strengths as well as some weaknesses or areas that needed improvement. On the positive side,

“A Man Called Horse,” is very socially aware and tells a worthwhile tale. Also, I really enjoyed the acting done by Richard Harris,

who played captive John Morgan. He did a wonderful job sticking to the role of his character throughout the film and was very

convincing. Another thing I admired was the directing done by Elliot Silverstein and thought the camera did a wonderful job

capturing the nature and various outdoor settings. On the negative side, I thought the film moved at a slow pace and was

difficult to finish. While there

No comments:

Post a Comment