Thursday, October 29, 2009
Entry39
I would like to explore the Sonoran desert. I understand that this is the desert that receives more amount of rain per year than any other desert. I also understand that the Sonoran desert has very distinct seasons and is subject to extreme climate and temperature changes. With this said, I would like to explore plant and animal adaptation to this region that is constantly facing severe weather changes. A few ways that plants adapt to the region are by seeking out coolness, collecting rain with their roots and finding shady areas of mountains. The major problem that plants face is that they lack water in the desert and I will describe how they must use the following three methods to deal with this deficiency: succulence, drought avoidance, and drought evasion. Other plants and flowers simply avoid the harsh conditions of the desert and are “annuals:” they survive one season, release seeds and die. A few ways that animals adapt to this region are by finding little hideouts where they can escape the sun, find shade beneath plants, and by sleeping during the days. Most animals in the Sonoran desert are nocturnal and escape the dying heat by hunting at nighttime. I want to explore some of the region’s major plants and animals and elaborate on how they are able to survive and adapt in the Sonoran desert. For my research paper, I would like to explore the Sonoran desert. I understand that this is the desert that receives more amount of rain per year than any other desert. I also understand that the Sonoran desert has very distinct seasons and is subject to extreme climate and temperature changes. With this said, I would like to explore plant and animal adaptation to this region that is constantly facing severe weather changes. A few ways that plants adapt to the region are by seeking out coolness, collecting rain with their roots and finding shady areas of mountains. The major problem that plants face is that they lack water in the desert and I will describe how they must use the following three methods to deal with this deficiency: succulence, drought avoidance, and drought evasion. Other plants and flowers simply avoid the harsh conditions of the desert and are “annuals:” they survive one season, release seeds and die. A few ways that animals adapt to this region are by finding little hideouts where they can escape the sun, find shade beneath plants, and by sleeping during the days. Most animals in the Sonoran desert are nocturnal and escape the dying heat by hunting at nighttime. I want to explore some of the region’s major plants and animals and elaborate on how they are able to survive and adapt in the Sonoran desert.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment